of the club
The name «FRANCESCO QUERINI» was unanimously given to the Society to commemorate the young Venetian officer of the Royal Navy who had been missing in the Arctic Ocean during an attempt to conquer the North Pole.
On 16 May 1901, the Società di Sport Nautici Francesco Querini, or the Querini as it is better known in Italy and abroad, was born.
On the evening of 16 May, gathered in a room of the Bauer Restaurant by Piero Foscari, a few young people, mostly members who had left the Canottieri Bucintoro, christened the new association.
The club felt strong enough to represent Querini’s name under Italian colors internationally, an accomplishment that had never been seen before by Venetian crews. The Querini achieved its first great sporting victory in Venetian rowing at the Italian Championships in Turin.
The King and Queen of Italy welcomed the Querini under their high patronage and donated their portraits to the Society with a signed dedication; the Society still owns to this day.
The first statute was approved and the first disdotona, the Society's representative gondola with 18 rowers (disdòto in Venetian dialect means eighteen), was launched on St. Mark's Day. Designed and built by engineer Angelo Meloncini in his shipyard, the beautiful, technically daring, one-of-a-kind vessel, admired by all, would excel for a century (and still does) in all the most important water events in the city and abroad.
Rights reserved Reale Società Canottieri Querini (photo)